Enroll | Forms | Jobs |

News - Community

Notice of Tribal Court Judge Election

Candidates are being sought to fill one (1), two-year term Tribal Court Associate Judge seat. The Tribal Court Associate Judge election will be held during the 82nd Annual Tribal Assembly (April 19-21, 2017).

Candidate requirements per Statute Title 06 - Tribal Court are as follows:

  • A candidate must be over the age of twenty-five (25) years.
  • A candidate must not have been convicted of a crime of moral turpitude or other offenses involving dishonesty or impugning moral character within ten (10) years as defined in the Federal Judicial Canons.
  • A candidate must not have been convicted of a felony, unless such felony conviction is eligible for expungement or has been expunged.
  • A candidate for Judge shall submit three (3) character references attesting to the candidate’s competency and ability to serve as a judicial official.
  • A candidate must be a member in good standing of the Central Council of Tlingit & Haida Indian Tribes of Alaska’s Tribal Bar Association.
  • A candidate for Tribal Judge shall be determined by the Judicial Committee to be well qualified, qualified or not qualified to serve as Judge so as to ensure the candidate can uphold the integrity and dignity of the Court.
  • The Judicial Committee may require a background check by a law enforcement agency.

If you wish to be considered, please submit a letter of intent, three character references, and completed Tribal Court Bar Admission application by 12:00 PM on Monday, April 17, 2017 to:

Valerie Hillman, Elections Coordinator

Email: elections@ccthita-nsn.gov
320 W. Willoughby Ave. - Juneau, Alaska 99801
Telephone: 907.463.7143
Fax: 888.335.8981


Support the Tlingit & Haida Cultural Immersion Park

A 35-year lease agreement has been signed with the City & Borough of Juneau (CBJ)for the development of a cultural immersion park on a waterfront property owned by CBJ. The next step of the project is to complete a feasibility study on the property and begin the process of raising funds and applying for grants. Central Council can't wait to move forward, but needs your support! A GoFundMe has been setup to support the construction of the cultural immersion park and raise matching funds for viable grant funding opportunities!

The cultural immersion park is a powerful instrument that will promote cultural awareness and preservation. It will not only perpetuate our Tlingit and Haida cultures, but will be a focal point in our community where residents and visitors can discover the richness of our cultures, ask questions, and broaden their awareness that our culture is still very much alive. This project is also a long-term commitment of the Tribe to support commerce and workforce development, job creation, our local economy, and creating opportunities for our people.

The cultural immersion park will include a building retrofitted with a traditional long house facade that will house a restaurant, gift shop, and cultural exhibit of repatriated items and the history of Tlingit and Haida people. Visitors will be able to enjoy traditional Native foods like blueberries, salmon, and Hudson Bay tea while watching dance performances. The gift shop will offer authentic Native art and souvenirs available for sale. Visitors will also be able to participate in guided tours with interactive demonstrations on the traditional art of basket weaving and carving canoes, paddles, masks, and totem poles. The restaurant will be closed for the winter, but the carving shed will remain open to provide a space for Native artists to carve and weave, hone their crafts, and host educational classes on metal and wood carving, basket weaving, form line design, and language. The facilities will also be available for rent in the off-season for board retreats, weddings, and more.

Matica Technologies Features Tribe in Case Study on Tribal ID Printing

Central Council was recently featured as a case study for Matica Technologies. Central Council purchased two Matica XID8600 retransfer printers in 2016 to increase the security of Central Council’s Tribal ID which are issued to tribal citizens to authenticate tribal citizenship. In the last year, Central Council has successfully integrated the new printing system with the use of custom hologram and 600 dpi high resolution printing for increased security.

To read the full case study, click here.

Contribute to Central Council through the Fred Meyer Community Rewards Program

Central Council Tlingit and Haida was recently approved to participate in the Fred Meyer Community Rewards Program. Through this wonderful program, Fred Meyer donates up to $2.5 million dollars ($625,000 quarterly) every year to local schools, community organizations, and non-profits in Alaska, Idaho, Oregon and Washington. The program is simple and allows Fred Meyer reward members to select an organization of their choice to be a recipient of Fred Meyer’s charitable contribution.

How to Link Your Rewards Card:
  • Go to www.fredmeyer.com/communityrewards
  • Click “Link Your Rewards Card Now”
  • Sign in or create an online account with Fred Meyer.
  • Enter your rewards number and last name.
    • If you do not have a Fred Meyer rewards card, one can be obtained from the Fred Meyer Customer Service desk.
  • Enter Tlingit Haida Central Council’s non-profit number: 91386
  • Last step… start shopping! Whenever you use your rewards card at Fred Meyer, you’ll be helping Tlingit Haida Central Council earn a donation.

Donations received from Fred Meyer will be used to support the following programs or services provided by Tlingit Haida Central Council:

  • Development of a Language Department: Supporting the efforts to revitalize the Tlingit, Haida and Tsimshian languages.
  • Elderly Emergency Assistance: Provides emergency financial assistance to tribal citizens 65 years of age and older who have urgent personal needs due to disastrous events such as fire, death, or illness.
  • Head Start: A federal and state funded program promoting school readiness of children ages 3-5 from low-income families by enhancing their cognitive, social, and emotional development.

Cobell Settlement

There are currently 800+ beneficiaries listed from Southeast Alaska that are due a payout from the Cobell Settlement and cannot be located.  If you believe you or a family member are a beneficiary of the settlement, please visit the following website or contact Indian Trust Settlement: http://www.indiantrust.com/index

Indian Trust Settlement
P.O. Box 9577
Dublin, OH 43017-4877
Hotline: 866.591.2958
Phone: 800.961.6109
Email: Info@IndianTrust.com

Affordable Care Act

The Affordable Care Act provides Alaska Native and American Indian people with additional healthcare coverage beyond Indian Health Service benefits. You may qualify for special coverage and protections. As an Alaska Native or American Indian, you are exempt from the requirement to purchase insurance if you can show evidence of:

  • Enrollment in a federally recognized Tribe
  • Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act (ANCSA) shareholder status, or
  • Eligible to receive services from an Indian Health Service (IHS) facility/Tribal health care provider.

Visit our Affordable Care Act resource page to access the exemption application and other resources.


Indian Country News

Indian Country Today

Indian Affairs

National Congress of American Indians (NCAI)

Alaska Federation of Natives (AFN)


More News



Return to Top